Many educators agree that teaching a dinosaur unit to students in elementary school is a lot of fun. There are so many interesting things to learn about dinosaurs. A lesson on dinosaurs can involve art projects, web quests, games, and, of course, plenty of thoughtful questions from students. The following resources will help both teachers and students find out more about those mysterious prehistoric creatures called dinosaurs.
Dinosaur Resources and Links
- Dinosaur Information: Learn the latest news about dinosaurs from paleontologists.
- Interesting Answers Concerning Dinosaurs: Discover some answers to a group of intriguing questions about dinosaurs.
- A Collection of Information on Dinosaurs: Learn all about dinosaurs with this exciting online tour that includes facts about fossils, dinosaur extinction, and much more.
- Dinosaur Fact Collection: Peruse a collection of pictures of dinosaurs and read descriptions of their physical features, when they lived as well as their speed.
- Dinosaur Fossils: Look at some fun animations that examine how dinosaurs disappeared leaving fossils behind.
- A Group of Dinosaurs: Click on a student’s name and learn about the habitat, enemies, eating habits, and appearance of a particular dinosaur.
- A Selection of Herbivores: Learn about some dinosaurs that are herbivores including the Oviraptor, Gallimimus, and others.
- Study a Dinosaur: Choose from a selection of dinosaurs, click on it, and learn about its behavior, appearance, and more!
- A Dictionary of Dinosaurs: Select a letter and find information on a particular dinosaur and its characteristics including its size, the period it lived in, and more.
- All about Fossils: Kids learn about the scientists who study fossils, and the different types of fossils.
- Lesson/Activity for a Fossil Unit: Peruse some activities and ways to teach a class of students about dinosaurs in an interactive way.
- A Lesson on Extinction: Students learn about extinction and dinosaurs in this science lesson plan.
- Contents of a Dinosaur Unit: Study the activities and lessons involved in a dinosaur unit that is taught over a period of about two weeks.
- Dinosaur Lessons and Activities: (PDF) Checkout these lessons and activities with a dinosaur theme that concern the various types of dinosaurs, paleontology, dinosaur terminology, and more.
- Learning Activities about Dinosaurs: Find a collection of lesson plans and activities with instructions and lists of materials. One of the lessons allows students to create trading cards about dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur Worksheets: Teachers peruse this selection of dinosaur worksheets that can add even more interest to a unit on dinosaurs.
- Dinosaurs and Balance: Discover a lesson plan that teaches students about balance and the structure of a dinosaur’s body.
- Learning about Dinosaurs in Museums: View the details of a lesson plan that takes students to online museums to see and study dinosaurs.
- Dinosaur Lessons: Find day-to-day activities and lessons that teach students about the appearance of various dinosaurs, what they ate, and more!
Virtual Tours and Games
- Learning about Dinosaurs with a Web Quest: Follow the steps of this dinosaur web quest and learn about their eating habits, size, and more.
- A Web Quest and a Dinosaur: Complete a web quest to learn more about dinosaurs and help one particular dinosaur design a park.
- Dinosaur Knowledge Card Game: Checkout these instructions for a card game that helps students to learn about various dinosaurs and whether they are carnivores or herbivores.
- Crossword Puzzle with a Dinosaur Theme: Read the clues and fill in the answers to this fun dinosaur crossword puzzle.
- Matching the Fossil Game: Examine the photos of fossils to match them up with their descriptions.
Dinosaur Clipart and Art Projects
- Coloring Pages with a Dinosaur Theme: Print one of a selection of dinosaur pictures and then decorate/color it.
- Dinosaur Decorating: Look at the collection of dinosaurs and choose one to print out and color.
- Clipart with a Dinosaur Theme: Educators, find several examples of dinosaur clipart and follow the instructions on the first page.
- Dinosaur Craft Activity: Discover the materials and instructions needed for making dinosaur eggs.
- A Variety of Dinosaur Crafts: Find how to make a collection of dinosaur art projects including one made of pasta!
- Fun Dinosaur Art Projects: Learn how to make a dinosaur out of paper plates, a dinosaur puppet, or even fossils.
- Brachiosaurus Project: Find out how to make a brachiosaurus out of paper plates.
- Dinosaur Pictures: Checkout the selection of dinosaur pictures and drawings for kids on this page.
- Clipart Samples: Peruse this collection of dinosaur clipart to add interest to a unit on dinosaurs.